No matter the size or type of building you own, the roof will need to be repaired or completely replaced at some point. But which route should you take? Below are some of the important things to consider when deciding whether to go forward with a roof replacement in Dallas, TX, or simply repair it:
- Age of the roof: One of the most important things to take into consideration is the age of your roof, which depends on the type of roofing material that’s installed. For instance, most asphalt shingles have a lifespan of about 15 to 30 years, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you will have to replace the entire roof. A roof that is still in good shape but with some damage could get away with spot repairs. On the other hand, you might want to replace a damaged roof that is more than 20 years old for long-term benefits.
- Roof leaks: If you notice a roof leak anywhere, schedule a professional inspection to determine the severity of the damage. A single leak may be an isolated issue—like water coming through damaged flashing—and may be reparable. Unfortunately, if your roof is leaking in several spots, then a roof replacement may be the best option.
- Your future plans: Let’s say that your roof is in good condition and you plan to sell your building sometime within the next few years. In that case, you might want to make repairs to weak-looking areas to prevent damage or leaks instead of replacing the entire roof. Planning to utilize the structure for a long time? If so, it may be worthwhile to replace a roof that has a lot of damage, is missing shingles or is over 20 years old.
- Replacement materials: When selecting new replacement materials, opt for environmentally friendly features for long-term benefits. Although most new materials are generally more energy efficient, perform better and last longer, you should ask the roofing company about quality roofing materials that may qualify you for local or federal tax credits and discounts on your business’ insurance policy. You can take the money you’d save and apply it toward preventative roof maintenance.
- Overall cost: Speaking of the cost, you might be able to save by placing another layer of shingles over your existing roof. That way, you won’t have to remove the current layer and start from scratch. However, the advantage of removing old shingles is being able to inspect the condition of the roof’s deck or sheathing. This also gives you the opportunity to add roof waterproofing measures along the eaves, which can prevent damage due to ice dams.
- Hidden costs: There could be hidden costs associated with a roof replacement, including things like gutter replacement and fixing damage to nearby landscape. Make sure you hire a reputable roofing company that will lay out realistic project costs.
For quality roof repairs or a complete roof replacement in Dallas, TX, look no further than Roofmaster Maintenance & Roofing, Inc. We are the area’s one-stop shop for all your commercial building roofing needs!
Categorised in: Roof Replacement
This post was written by Writer